Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:20:03 -0700
From:      Rick Macklem <rick.macklem@gmail.com>
To:        Andreas Kempe <kempe@lysator.liu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kerberised NFSv4 - everyone gets mapped to nobody on file access

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 10:17=E2=80=AFAM Andreas Kempe <kempe@lysator.liu.s=
e> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 05:54:38PM -0700, Rick Macklem wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 5:33=E2=80=AFPM Rick Macklem <rick.macklem@gmai=
l.com> wrote:

> > > Take a look at a packet capture in wireshark.
> > > Check that the @domain part of Owner and Owner_group attributes are
> > > the same and it is not a string of digits.
> > Oh, and just fyi, you can use tcpdump to capture the packets, something=
 like:
> > # tcpdump -s 0 -w out.pcap host <nfs-server>
> > and then you can look at out.pcap whereever it is convenient to
> > install wireshark.
> > (I run it on this windows laptop.)
> > Don't bother to try and look at NFS with tcpdump. It doesn't know how
> > to decode it.
> >
> > > If the domain is not the same, you can use the -domain command line o=
ption
> > > on nfsuserd to set it.
> > > (Since this "domain" is underdefined, I'd suggest only ascii characte=
rs and
> > > all alphabetics in lower case.)
> > > If the client sends a string of digits, check to make sure the sysctl
> > > vfs.nfs.enable_uidtostring is set to 0.
> > >

> I'm using lysator.liu.se as the domain on both client and server. It
> seems to work since listing files give correct owners.
>
> I have dumped the traffic from mounting and creating a file named
> test file that shows up as owned by nobody. I get the following call
> made
>
>         NFS     438     V4 Call (Reply In 131) Open OPEN DH: 0x30a4c0aa/t=
estfil

> In the OPEN (18) opcode, owner is set to
>
>                 0000   af 16 00 00 93 fc 00 00 07 76 0d 00
>
> while the server sets owner to ex. kempe@lysator.liu.se as expected
> when directory listings are made.
Doesn't make sense. What does wireshake show you for the Owner
attribute in the setable attributes of the Open arguments. It should flag
it as non-UTF8.

If you email me the pcap.out as an attachment, I'll look at it in wireshark=
.
The out.pcap should include both the Open that creates a file and an
"ls -l <file>", so there is a Getattr for the file as well.

rick
ps: If that is what is in the Owner field, all I can suggest is that was wh=
at
      a getpwnam() returned on the client. Possibly some weirdness with LDA=
P.
      (I never use LDAP. Only a local /etc/passwd.)