Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:20:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Attention beep-media-player users on FreeBSD 5.x

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Miguel Mendez wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Because I've gotten about 5 e-mails so far about this. It's explained in
> the pkg-message anyway.
>
> If bmp crashes upon start with a libpthread related error, modify your
> /etc/libmap.conf and add this:

Complaining about spin locks not initialized, I bet?

> # Might crash if used with libpthread
> [beep-media-player]
> libc_r.so.5		libc_r.so.5
> libc_r.so		libc_r.so

This looks like an attempt to hack around the crossed-thread-libraries
issue.  I know how to fix this with KDE, but I'm not as experienced with
gnome.  Generally it involves rebuilding X and all ports in a particular
order. With KDE you need to rebuild gmake fairly early since it encodes
build options that get used for qt and dependants.

There may be some information in the -current archives on this issue,
particularly relating to gnome.

If you want to go hunting, run 'ldd' on the beepmp binary and make sure
libc_r and libpthread don't both show up. If they do, you need to hunt
through the dependant libraries to find the one depending on libc_r and
rebuild it. objdump -x is useful here; look for the NEEDED entries in the
dynamic section.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org