--------------yyOEuZIT3LtYQpKGACz0B0z1

On 4/23/2024 10:12 PM, Gregory Shapiro wrote:
> Short version:
>
> Using FreeBSD as a BGP router has network issues caused by suboptimal
> default IPv4 source address selection when connected to Internet
> Exchanges (which are required to use IPs that aren't routable on the
> Internet).  I was hoping to find more elegant workarounds or encourage
> FreeBSD to add source IPv4 selection akin to the existing IPv6 source
> address selection (no_prefer_iface and prefer_source).
>
> I assume that there is a group of BGP enthusiasts using FreeBSD lurking
> on freebsd-net.  What have you done to solve this problem?

For DNS in such situations I start unbound locally and bind it to an
internal interface or an IP on lo0 and then tell unbound to just use
that IP only  (outgoing-interface IIRC) that is advertised out as a work
around.  Its not a proper solution, but will get your resolver working
at least. I run into this problem in layered networks where the next hop
is often RFC 1918 addrs. I bind applications to internal NICs that have
addresses that have routing to/from.

     ---Mike

--------------yyOEuZIT3LtYQpKGACz0B0z1

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:xrxvyz6h3t45tfbqxag2ueqe6ocg2myxhdg7kqsbjx6czj4xeo@jqwioylxcb2c">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">Short version:

Using FreeBSD as a BGP router has network issues caused by suboptimal
default IPv4 source address selection when connected to Internet
Exchanges (which are required to use IPs that aren't routable on the
Internet).  I was hoping to find more elegant workarounds or encourage
FreeBSD to add source IPv4 selection akin to the existing IPv6 source
address selection (no_prefer_iface and prefer_source).

I assume that there is a group of BGP enthusiasts using FreeBSD lurking
on freebsd-net.  What have you done to solve this problem?

</pre>
      an internal interface or an IP on lo0 and then tell unbound to
      just use that IP only  (outgoing-interface IIRC) that is
      advertised out as a work around.  Its not a proper solution, but
      will get your resolver working at least. I run into this problem
      in layered networks where the next hop is often RFC 1918 addrs. I
      bind applications to internal NICs that have addresses that have
      routing to/from.<br>

--------------yyOEuZIT3LtYQpKGACz0B0z1--