Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2024 17:58:23 +0100
From:      void <void@f-m.fm>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: holding rust at a particular version

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 09:48:22AM -0700, Chris wrote:

>I'm sorry to hear this. For the sake of clarity; Is this just my
>ignorance for rust?
>I have no difficulty accomplishing this task with other targets --
>perl, php, *SQL,...
>So long as the *chosen* version is still available within the ports
>tree. Granted;
>this isn't a one-size-fits-all situation. Much the same as mixing
>ports && packages.
>But if carefully curated, has worked for me.

Looking at the issue more widely, it seems that in ports that
when rust updates, all rust-dependents are also updated to use
that latest version, and I can't see of a way to override it
except to take the local tree back to the 1.76 commit.

Is this the right way?

In bsd.default-versions.mk there is:
###
# Possible values: rust, rust-nightly