Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 12:21:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Krebs <schrade@schrade.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gack, again! 3DFX cards.

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Amancio Hasty wrote:

>Well, do you have the Canopus working on FreeBSD or for that
>matter does any have a Canopus working on FreeBSD?

I have a Canopus Pure3D in my combo Win95/FreeBSD box at home.  It works
great and is without a doubt the best consumer level 3Dfx Voodoo based
card out there.  It's the best value and it also is the best performer.
Plus you get the S-Video and Composite out options.

All I had to do to get it working under FreeBSD 3.0-current was this:

o cvsup to the latest current code and make world/kernel
o install the linux-devel port in /usr/ports/devel/linux_devel
o install linux glide stuff in /usr/local/glide
o compile Mesa 2.5 using the linux gcc and install it according to
  Amancio's instructions
o compile svgalib-foo using the linux gcc and install it according to
  Amancio's instructions (also configure it for mouse support)
o make sure linux emul is running and then just run GLQuake from the
  console

>From over here the added circuitry for NTSC or S-Video output perhaps
>makes a little difficult to support.

Nope.  Not a factor whatsoever.  All that is controlled by custom GLIDE
drivers made by Canopus for Win95/NT.  If you aren't using those drivers,
then the outputs just won't work.  That doesn't much matter since the
normal SVGA passthru does, which is pretty much all people care about in
this case.

>	Cheers,
>	Amancio

*********** NewOrderDepecheModeUltravoxViolentFemmesKillingJoke *************
* Ken     * NineInchNailsFront242TangerineDreamTheBreedersTekno *           *
*   Krebs * SkinnyPuppyLaTourBauhausBookOfLoveModernEnglishB52s *           *
*********** FishBoneBigCountryJoyDivisonSiouxsie&TheBansheesXTC *************
IRC: Schrade	E-Mail: schrade@schrade.com	<URL:http://www.schrade.com/>;