Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:17:31 +0100
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+k@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   flash9 checklist (was: flash-9, 10 on FreeBSD)

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 08:59:23AM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm having serious problems with Adobe's Flash 9 and 10 on my FreeBSD-7/amd64
> system.
>
> If I try to use it directly with linux-firefox, the entire browser crashes
> quickly. If I try www/nspluginwrapper with a native browser, the
> wrapper-launched npviewer.bin seg-faults instead. Either way, the plugin does
> not work...
>
> It appears, there was some activity recently in trying to fix these problems
> (is it all in linprocfs/?) What is the current status? Thanks,
>
> 	-mi

Preliminary checklist for getting flash9 to work in native firefox:
(flash10 needs more ports work, I shall post about that seperately on
-emulation...)  If you have additions to this please post a followup to
this thread, keeping the Cc: (I'm not on -questions...)

1. You need RELENG_7 from at least Mon Oct 20 11:15:57 2008 UTC
(the relevant MFC commits are:
	http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=183819
	http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=184075
- a recent HEAD should also work of course.)  There are linprocfs patches
for RELENG_6 too (merging the former commit), but the latter commit can't
be merged to 6 (and 7.0) since they lack the cpuset bits, so flash9
probably won't work on SMP there.  (Although if you have SMP you probably
should be running 7 anyway. :)  Oh and if you do have SMP you also need to
use the ULE scheduler, the cpuset syscalls are not supported with 4BSD.
linprocfs patches for 6:
	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/linprocfs-6.3.patch
	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/linprocfs-6.4.patch

2. Your portstree needs to be from at least Sun Oct 19 17:37:28 2008 UTC
(the last www/linux-flashplugin9 commit is:
	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-ports/2008-October/158404.html
)

3. Make sure linprocfs is mounted to /compat/linux/proc .

4. Make sure www/nspluginwrapper, www/linux-flashplugin9 and dependencies
are installed and up to date(!).  (the default emulators/linux_base-fc4
should work, if you want to use a later one don't forget to set
compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16 in sysctl.conf and OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT
to whichever version you use in make.conf.  Note however that on 6, only
the default compat.linux.osrelease=2.4.2 really works.)

5. If the plugin doesnt show up in firefox' about:plugins, run
	nspluginwrapper -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
and restart firefox.

6. And remember there's a security advisory for the current version of
flash9,
	http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/78f456fd-9c87-11dd-a55e-00163e000016.html
(if you use portaudit you need to `make -DDISABLE_VULNERABILITIES ...'
to be able to install the port), and fc4 seems to be eol'd too, so you
probably want to install something like the noscript firefox extension,
and only allow plugins (and scripts, tho thats a different problem) on
sites you trust...

 And finally, if you still get crashes after following the above even
on pages that are reported to work now (like youtube) you probably want
to run `ktrace -di firefox...' and look at the output using linux_kdump
(thats the devel/linux_kdump port, you want to use a package), paying
specific attention to the lines above `PSIG SIGSEGV' (or whichever
signal you got), maybe there are still shlibs missing that the plugin
needs (NAMI ...something.so...), and if this is the case tell us about
it so the appropriate dependencies can be added to the relevant ports.
If you can't figure it out I guess it doesn't hurt to post the last
few 100 lines of the dump up to the relevant PSIG on -emulation...

 You may also want to check linked shlibs like this:
	/compat/linux/bin/sh /compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
and
	/compat/linux/bin/sh /compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd /usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin
(if you see `not found' in there you know something is wrong) - although
that doesn't show libs that may be dlopen()d at runtime.

 Good luck,
	Juergen