Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2007 14:46:30 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org, jarrod@ipglobal.net
Subject:   Re: freebsd-cluster

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Jarrod Baumann wrote:
>  > How about and drivers, experimental/beta or not, that exist for
>  > mounting other existing clustered DFS environments?
>
> Well, there's FUSE in FreeBSD's ports collection, so you
> should be able to mount any file system for which there is
> a FUSE driver available.  In theory.
>
> FUSE provides an API that allows file system drivers to
> run in userland.  There's a ton of FUSE file systems on
> its home page ...  Most of them are only written and tested
> on Linux, but it should be possible to compile and run them
> on FreeBSD with minor efforts.)
>
> Other than that, there is no distributed file system for
> FreeBSD.  Coda and AFS have been mentioned, but last time
> I looked they were not really usable.
>
> When a customer asks me to set up clustered storage (HA),
> I usually recommend a NetApp Filer cluster.  At least they
> use a BSD-derived OS, so it's not completely off-topic. ;-)
>
> Best regards
>    Oliver

Oh, and I forgot to mention this piece of software:

http://www.bsdcluster.com/

I haven't played with it recently, but it was promising when I did play
with it about a year ago.  It's not a clustered file system
implementation, but it does have some failover/HA pieces in it, and some
VFS hooks to distribute changes.

It's worth a look for sure..

Eric