Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 09:50:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      stanb@netcom.com (Stan Brown)
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org (Free BSD Multimedia List)
Subject:   Kernel with GUS PnP support won't boot. Pleas help

	I am fighting my way through trying to make my new Gravis Ultrasound
	PnP card work on my FreeBSD HP Vectra.

	I could use some help here.

	I have grabbed guspnp6.tar.gz unpacked it into /sys as directed. Then I
	added the flowing 2 lines to my kernel config file:

	controller  snd0
	device      gus0    at isa? port 0x210 irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x3 vector gusintr

	The example used IRQ 11, but IRQ 11 is already in use on my system. In
	looking through /var/log/messages it appears as though the following
	IRQ's are used. 1.3.4.5.6.7.11,14,16. I am no expert here, so maybe
	there are others that are used that I don;t know about. Anyway not
	knowing any better, I randomly choose 10.

	I had to change an include line in midi_synth.c from "midi_synth.h" to
	</sys/i386/isa/sound/midi_synth.h" to get the kernel to compile.

	I ran make depend, make, and make install in the kernel build
	directory. All of this appeared to go well.

	There is a note in one of the READMES about the driver needing more
	than base memory on the GUS. so I added 2 1M sims to it.

	All of this seemed to go well. Unfortunately the resultant kernel won't
	boot. With the card in the system it gets as far as finding the card,
	reporting the MFG and serial No. (000001 strangely enough) and then
	hangs forever. Without the card in the system it says checking for Gus
	PnP. Reports no PnP devices found, and then hangs there forever.

	I don;t now anything about PC hardware, so I a sure that I am doing
	something stupid here. Could some kind soul please give me some words
	of advice on this?

	Thanks.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    404-996-6955