Date:      Sat, 08 Feb 1997 12:30:51 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        ken@stox.pr.mcs.net (Kenneth P. Stox), multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tuner/capture options for FreeBSD

Hi Guys,

First off , I did not write the Matrox Meteor driver, Jim Lowe and Mark Tinguely
are the authors of the meteor driver. I wrote the Bt848 driver.

I was the first one to write tv and then beg for others to enhance it.

Contributors to "tv" are:
Jordan Hubbard
Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>

A cool "tv" like program called metgrab with real time "xv" like effects
was written by: Danny Dulai  nirva@ishiboo.com

For programming info on the Bt848 chipset , you can contact Brookree:

  Brooktree Corporation
        9868 Scranton Road
        San Diego, Ca. 92121-3707
        tel (619) 452-7580
        fax (619) 452-1249

Direct Transfer from the BT848 to video cards:
This means that the BT848 acts as a PCI Bus Master and can initiate
dma to any device on the PCI bus . For instance, a video graphic's
display buffer. So it is possible for the Bt848 to directly transfer
the captured frame to lets say an S3 968's display buffer with no
cpu intervention -- that is PCI to PCI .

Direct draw primary surface, is just a fancy term used in MS Direct Draw
to represent the video graphic's display buffer. Primary is the currently
used buffer as supposed to alternate buffer. With direct draw it is
possible to use multiple buffers for the purpose of doing
page flippping;specially, at the start of VSYNCH for smooth video display.

Usually in Overlay mode , the video display does the yuv color expansion
and an pixel interpolation. In Primary mode the Bt848 does the scaling however
it does not have pixel interpolation.

I don't have any info on Hauppauge's tuner however I would just get
the part number and contact the manufacture and ask him for the specs.

	Enjoy,
	Amancio