Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 21:07:14 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv, G450, & DGA anyone?

Jamie Bowden:
 |Changing the $DISPLAY to localhost:0.0 or <hostname>:0.0 gives yet another
 |error, as follows:
 |
 |Shm Extension not available...X Server isn't local.

Yep, same reason.  Shared memory transfer presumes you're local, and local
is only presumed for ":..." and "unix:..." display settings.

 |I know with XFree86 4.x, the X server is wrapped in a virtual frame
 |buffer.  At least, that's my understanding of the docs.  Might this be
 |interfering?

You got me there.  I knew there was a virtual frame buffer X server that
lets you render to a memory frame buffer instead of a video card, but never
heard of 4.x wrapping this in.

Randall

--
Randall Hopper