Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:53:01 +0100
From:      Alexandre Ratchov <alex-contact@caoua.org>
To:        Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, tech@openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Return of the MIDI

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 11:35:51AM -0500, Chapman Flack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working on a largish increment in MIDI support for NetBSD.
> I notice in OpenBSD manpages that the MIDI support there is derived
> from older NetBSD code, and from FreeBSD archives that the support
> there is in a sort of indeterminate state at the moment. So you might
> find the NetBSD patches to be of interest.  I have not yet had the
> chance to patch the manpages and improve the documentation (that's
> in the works), but you can get an idea what's developing (and links
> to the patches so far) from the relevant NetBSD PRs:
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=32441
> http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=32442
> http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=32567
> http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=32588
> http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=32651

hello,

i don't understand completely the new cable number quirks; you say that the
midiman 2x4 have 4 jacks, that can be written (arbitrary?) on 2 endpoints.
Isn't this specified in any descriptors?

i really like your path to improve the umidi(4) transmit output throughput,
i'll try it soon on openbsd;

last year, there have been changes in the midi(4) driver of openbsd. In
order to fix similar problems, openbsd used a very simple approach:
currently, the midi(4) driver parses data as-is to the user-land, supposing
that the user application have to decode (and thus to check for
inconsistencies) the input stream. Inside the kernel, input midi stream is
parsed only if the sequencer is opened and output stream is parsed in the
umidi(4) driver in order to build packets.

thanks,

--
Alexandre