Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 10:46:05 -0700
From:      grady@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   questions about developing an mpeg3 database and interface

Inspired by the 8hz mpeg3 encoder, I've started encoding my CDs.  Ultimately,
it would be cool to have all the CDs on file, with a database describing
them, and a GUI to choose by title, style, etc.  For the moment,
I'm putting things in a simple, tagged, colon-separated format.  But
before I go re-inventing the wheel, is there a standard format I should
be using?  (I looked at xmpeg3's tracks.idx format; is that based on a
standard?  It looks to be the similar to mine, although the tags are
different.)

Ultimately, this should all go in some sort of real database.
Since relational queries would be useful, I might try mSQL.  Does
anyone have experience with it?  Or mysql?

What about a graphical interface -- is there anything better than xmpeg3?
Something that provides CD-type controls (pause, play, fast-forward, etc.)?

I'm using mpg123 right now to play the files, and I'll try out the other
players, but does anyone else have an opinion on them?

BTW, I had been using OSS, since I bought it about 6 months ago, but I
noticed that my machine started crashing occasionally while playing
mpeg3s, so I switched to Luigi's sound driver, which has worked
flawlessly!  Thanks a lot, Luigi!

	Steven
	grady@xcf.berkeley.edu

PS I just ran into a bug, it appears.  Having read some data using tosha,
I switched to the FreeBSD 2.2.6 disc 1, to install some packages, but I'm
now unable to mount the filesystem ("cd0(ahc0:2:0): BLANK CHECK asc:64,0
Illegal mode for this track") -- I suspect the driver is in a hosed state
that will only resolve itself when I reboot.  Has anyone else seen this?
--
"But Calvin is no kind and loving god!  He's one of
the _old_ gods!  He demands sacrifice!"