Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:11:39 -0500
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Soundblaster Live rear channels?

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1

On April 04, 2002, Lars Eggert sent me the following:
> The Anarcat wrote:
> >FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Mar 27 2002 12:56:06
> >Installed devices:
> >pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0x9000 irq 5 (4p/1r/0v channels duplex)
> >
> >So it has 4 play channels. newpcm supports multiple through the use of
> >multiple channels, AFAIK. On -stable, newpcm supports this through
> >hw.snd.pcm0.vchans. The default value is 0 which means there is only
> >one virtual channel available. If you bump this to 1 or 2, you have
> >more virtual channels available. These are accessible through
> >/dev/dspX.Y where Y is the virtual channel.

I have the same card in a 4.5-R box here, my hw.snd.pcm0.vchans is 0,
and I have /dev/dsp0.[0123]. It appears that these are the hardware
mixer channels for the card, as I can set 4 programs to each use one
of them, and they can all play at the same time. I don't think these
are virtual channels, but rather just sub-devices for the seperate
channels the card supports.

> I think I was unclear here when using "channel". What I'm trying to do=20
> is getting sound out of the two rear speakers with a 5-speaker setup.=20
> There's two separate cables that go from the soundcard to the speakers,=
=20
> one is for the front pair and subwoofer, the other drives the two rear=20
> speakers. No signal comes out of the latter.

Perhaps to use the rear speakers, you need to feed in a special file
format? I mean, for stereo, we don't feed two mono streams into two
devices, we feed one stereo stream into a single dsp device. Perhaps
you need to be feeding in a quad-channel stream into one of the dsp's?

I have no clue really, just thought I'd toss the idea out there.

--=20
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx>               http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a20>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N@ o K- w O M+ V--
PS+ PE Y+ PGP+ t+@ 5 X R@ tv+() b++>+++ DI++++ D(-) G++ e>++ h->++ r++ y-