Date:      Wed, 11 May 2005 22:45:55 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        FreeBSD Clustering List <freeBSD-Cluster@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD Clustering wishlist - Was: Introduction & RE: Clustering with Freebsd

Ok - I'm changing the subject here in an attempt to gather information.

Here's my wishlist:

FreeBSD have a 'native' clustered filesystem.  This is different than
shared media (we already can do that over fiber channel, ggated, soon
iscsi and AOE).  This would allow multiple servers to access the same
data read/write - highly important for load balancing applications like
web servers, mail servers, and NFS servers.

Online growable filesystem.  I know I can growfs a filesystem now, but
doing online while data is being used is *insanely* useful.  Reiserfs
and Polyserve's FS (a clustered filesystem, not open-source) do this well.

FreeBSD's UFS2 made to do journaling.  There's already someone working
on this.

I believe the above mean that we need a distributed lock manager too, so
might as well add that to my wishlist.

Single filesystem limits set very high - 16TB would be a good minimum.

Vinum/geom (?) made to allow added a couple more 'disks' - be it a real
scsi device, or another vinum device - to existing vinum's, so I can
extend my vinum stripe, raid, concat, etc to a larger volume size,
without worrying about which disk is where.  I want to stripe mirrors of
raids, and raid striped mirrors of stripes.  I know it sounds crazy, but
I really *do* have uses for all this. :)

We currently pay lots of money every year (enough to pay an engineers
salary) for support and maintenance with Polyserve.  They make a good
product (we need it for the clustered filesystem and NFS distributed
lock manager stuff) - I'd much rather see that go to FreeBSD.

Eric

A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.