Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 12:09:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple PCI busses?

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, David Miller wrote:

> Hi All:)
>
> Is anyone using FreeBSD on hardware with multiple independent PCI busses
> to increase total bus bandwidth?

All the time.  Most systems worth being called "servers" have multiple
independent PCI busses.

> I got an Abit KT7 mobo with 6 pci slots and expected to find
> multiple pci busses, but my three scsi and ethernet controllers
> seem to share the same bus.
>
> I'm interested in putting together an eight to twelve port 100
> Mbit router, and any way I slice it a single PCI bus comes up as a
> hard limit pretty quickly.  I'm not aware of any multi-port
> ethernet cards with fast or wide interfaces, (anyone know of any?)
> so am looking for recommendations on multiple PCI busses.

If you're putting together your own system, try the ASUS CUR-DLS,
which uses the ServerWorks ServerSet III LE chipset.  It has dual
independent PCI busses on it, with two 66MHz/64-bit PCI slots and five
33MHz/32-bit slots.  Otherwise, most of the servers from the likes of
Dell, IBM, Compaq, etc. all use multiple PCI busses.  The Compaq ML530
I have here has no less than four independent PCI busses, and I use it
as an 100Mbit*8-port router, among other things.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )