Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:23:52 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: Redundant setup on a budget??

Hello Alexander,

>> Hmm. This is FreeBSD >4.0... Not exactly portable, but I suspect
> We are talking in FreeBSD-isp... and you didn't want to use 3.x
> because of the not fixable local root exploit (the fix is to
> upgrade to 4.x). So what?

Duuh. I sure as hell won't consider using 3.X but I was referring to
the whole Linux crowd with the portability. OTOH, they already got
enough solutions to solve the realtime replication mess anyway.

BTW: Greg Lehey just contacted me about the nbd stuff and while he
hasn't got the time to do it, he referred to some other company but
those didn't yet even show up with a preliminary quote (but I suspect
this is going to be very expensive).

>> there's no such thing as a portable approach to something like
>> this.
> A portable solution would have to poll... and we didn't want to do
> that, right?

Exactly. Polling is way to slow.

>> On the first glance it looks pretty complex but...
> It depends...

Read through it a bit more concentrated today and found it probably
doesn't help anyway:

 EVFILT_VNODE       Takes a file descriptor as the identifier and the
events
                    to watch for in fflags, and returns when one or
more of
                    the requested events occurs on the descriptor.
The events
                    to monitor are:

I interpret this like it's good for monitoring single vnodes, but not
entire filesystem.

If somebody could get 5 CURRENT to build again (judging by
current.freebsd.org, it didn't do so since the 18.6.01), I probably
could work with http://people.freebsd.org/~abial/spy. The developer
didn't answer my mail regarding a backport to 4.3 so far...

>> I currently prefer to work on my monitoring system until it at
>> least is alpha quality (i.e. enough for inhouse use ;-) but after
>> that I'm interested in this kind of stuff.
> Just call me back then.

I probably forget about it but I'll try to remember ;-)

Best regards,
 Gabriel