Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 12:00:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joey Garcia <bear@unix.homeip.net>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        <multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: can't rip CD's

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> t=1
> name=track_01.mp3
> dd if=/dev/acd0t$t bs=2352 | lame -r -x -V 1 -b 128 -h -m j -q1 - $name

I was rather interested in this subject due to the fact that I haven't had
much luck ripping cds on my FreeBSD workstation.  I have a IDE CDROM drive
therefore made the task much harder considering that most of the ripping
software in the ports collection are geared towards SCSI CDROM drives.

I was curious to how you came to the blocksize of being 2352 bytes?  Is
this documented somewhere? Is that just how the data is layed out on the
cd or something?  In blocks of 2352 bytes?

Now since we're on the subject of cd's and blocksizes.  What if I wanted
to create a cd image to the hard drive using dd, would I use the same
blocksize? Would this command be correct: dd if=/dev/acd0c bs=2352
of=/home/myhome/image.iso ? I ask that question, because I was curious on
how to create an image of an audio cd so that I can make duplicates later
on.

I'm gonna have to give your above command a try to see if it works for me
on my FreeBSD 4.4 system.  Oh yeah, how's the quality of the sound when
ripping cd's that way?

Well, thanks for the information!

Joey