Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:34:09 -0700
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
To:        andy@kksonline.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VLAN speed

>If I remember correct VLANs are not
>even in ifTable, since they are not interfaces

Why not?  My reading of RFC 2863's section 3.1 says that although
the VLAN multiplexing was not explicitly considered, it fits the
ifStack model perfectly, and satisfies the requirements for defining
a layer (notably, having multiplexing which means that the lower layer's
counters are insufficient to represent what's going on).

>if they are in ifTable they have special type defined...

Yes, ifType l2vlan(135).

  Bill