Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 14:35:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   user PPP and IGMP

A user was interested in getting a Multicast Tunnel running through
user PPP on FreeBSD. The outgoing tunnel send IGMP packets out through
the PPP code and is recieved on our network, but the incoming IGMP packets
are not being logged (using tcpdump and the TCP/IP log facility in ppp).
I modified the switch statement in PacketCheck() to log a IPPROTO_IGMP
as a IPPROTO_UDP type, but I do not see the IGMP packets in the log.

we don't have the most sophisticated debuging tools, but the terminal server
seems to say that they are sending the incoming (to the ppp link) packet
and it appears from the modem light the packet is getting on to the modem.

Since I do not have a firewall defined FilterCheck() in ip.c should not
be eliminating this packet.

I swear we had a tunnel running on the user ppp code a couple months ago
under FreeBSD 2.2.2. Has anyone else been using user ppp and an multicast
tunnel?

The only thing I can think of is this ppp session is using aliasing, but
the IGMP packets are coming into the ppp machine and not going through it.

--mark.