Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:59:36 -0400
From:      Damian Gerow <dgerow@afflictions.org>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mplayer/mencoder with bktr(4) device

Thus spake Michael Nottebrock (michaelnottebrock@gmx.net) [29/08/04 06:12]:
: > Yep, with S-Video.  Via mplayer, the RCA in is much cleaner than the
: > S-Video in.  Which is the whole reason for my post -- I'm obviously doing
: > something wrong, I just don't know what.
:
: Ah. Hm, I suppose you already tried various values for the input parameter
: with mplayer/mencoder (perhaps you could post some of the commandlines you've
: already tried, particularly the one which gives you the bad picture)?

Here's what I'm using right now, and it seems to produce the best picture
(don't think pullup does much of anything here, though):

    mplayer tv:// -tv input=2:driver=bsdbt848:norm=ntsc:audioid=1 -vf lavcdeint,hqdn3d=12:9:18,pullup

And wow -- I just tried input=5, and what a difference!  The picture's on
par with Windows (if not a tad bit better), better than fxtv, there's no
artifacts.  And while I'm sure I cycled through /all/ inputs from 0-12
(don't know how high they go), I guess I wasn't paying attention.  Thanks!

Note that dropping hqdn3d results in the same vertical lines in the
background.  Dropping pullup does absolutely nothing.

Do you know why S-Video would have two different input values, that produce
two different picture qualities?