Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:56:42 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        soc-students@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Please welcome our Summer of Code Students

Google announced today that they are funding 21 of our Summer of Code
applicants (out of over 100 applications).  We had at least 10 highly
competitive applications that were not funded by Google, and we've
encouraged some of those students to work on FreeBSD this summer
anyway.  We are very much looking forward to working with these
students this summer on the chosen FreeBSD related projects.  So
without further ado, the student/mentor pairs are :

* Dynamic memory allocation for dirhash in UFS2,
  Sean Nicholas Barkas, mentored by David Malone
* TCP/IP regression test suite,
  Victor Hugo Bilouro, mentored by George Neville-Neil
* Improved Wine support under FreeBSD,
  Eric Durbin, mentored by Kristofer Paul Moore (PC-BSD)
* Allowing for Parallel builds in the FreeBSD Ports Collection,
  David Forsythe, mentored by Mark Linimon
* Implementation of MPLS in FreeBSD,
  Ryan French, mentored by Kip Macy
* Audit Firewall Events from Kernel,
  Diego Giagio, mentored by Christian S.J. Peron
* Embedded FreeBSD project,
  James Andrew Harrison, mentored by Warner Losh
* FreeBSD auditing system testing,
  Vincenzo Iozzo, mentored by Attilio Rao
* Multibyte collation support,
  Konrad Jankowski, mentored by Diomidis Spinellis
* Porting BSD-licensed Text-Processing Tools from OpenBSD,
  Gabor Kovesdan, mentored by Max Khon
* Reference implementation of the SNTP client,
  Johannes Maximilian Kuehn, mentored by Harlan Stenn (NTP)
* Improving layer2 filtering in FreeBSD,
  Gleb Kurtsov, mentored by Andrew Thompson
* DTrace Toolkit on FreeBSD,
  LIQUN LI, mentored by John Birrell
* NFSv4 ACLs,
  Edward Tomasz Napierala, mentored by Robert Watson
* Adding .db support to pkg_tools --> pkg_improved,
  Anders Nore, mentored by Florent Thoumie
* 802.11 Fuzzing and Testing,
  Aniket Patankar, mentored by Sam Leffler
* TCP anomaly detector,
  Rui Alexandre Cunha Paulo, mentored by Andre Oppermann
* Ports license auditing infrastructure,
  Alejandro Pulver, mentored by Brooks Davis
* VM Algorithm Improvement,
  Mayur Shardul, mentored by Jeffrey Roberson
* Enhancing FreeBSD's Libarchive,
  Anselm Strauss, mentored by Timothy Kientzle
* Porting FreeBSD to Efika SoC (PPC bring up),
  Przemek Witaszczyk, mentored by Rafal Jaworowski

We are still in the process of getting them signed up for perforce and
wiki accounts and such, but eventually the students will create
project pages describing their plans and progress at :

  http://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2008

Most of the students are still busy with coursework at the moment, and
so this is a community bonding period before the summer work is
supposed to begin.  In the mean time if you want to send a note to
congratulate them you can mail them all at soc-students@FreeBSD.org.

Thanks to everyone (over 60 committers registered this year!) that
helped review the student applications, and especially thanks to
Google for this significant investment in the the FreeBSD development
community.

	- Murray