Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2001 12:18:31 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Joey Garcia <bear@unix.homeip.net>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't rip CD's

On 28-Sep-2001 Joey Garcia wrote:
>  I was curious to how you came to the blocksize of being 2352 bytes?  I
>  this documented somewhere? Is that just how the data is layed out on the
>  cd or something?  In blocks of 2352 bytes?

2352 bytes is the number of bytes per sector of an audio CD.

2048 is the number of bytes per sector of a data CD (extra error checking)

>  Now since we're on the subject of cd's and blocksizes.  What if I wanted
>  to create a cd image to the hard drive using dd, would I use the same
>  blocksize? Would this command be correct: dd if=/dev/acd0c bs=2352
>  of=/home/myhome/image.iso ? I ask that question, because I was curious on
>  how to create an image of an audio cd so that I can make duplicates later
>  on.

No, if it where a data data use a 2k block size.

>  I'm gonna have to give your above command a try to see if it works for me
>  on my FreeBSD 4.4 system.  Oh yeah, how's the quality of the sound when
>  ripping cd's that way?

Depends entirely on your CDROM drive :)

There is no jitter protection etc..

Someone just informed me you can use cdda2wav in 'cooked ioctl' mode but I
haven't tried it.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum