Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2005 04:33:48 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: professional sound studio with freebsd, anyone?

--nextPart1911810.so0pWAS4l3

On Tuesday, 4. January 2005 03:58, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 04:17:41AM +0200, Thanos Tsouanas wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 05:37:48PM -0800, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > > The OSS that sucks in Linux is mostly unrelated the the OSS drivers.
> > > The only relation is that the most trivial portions of the API are the
> > > same.  Don't judge FreeBSD's sound system by other people's crappy
> > > implementations of the API.
> >
> > The comparison was not between lin OSS and lin ALSA but between
> > fbsd OSS and lin ALSA but i do not take it for granted.
> > Do you use FreeBSD with OSS and works fine?  Do you record?
> > Please let me know your software/hardware inventory and how well
> > it works for you.
>
> If you believe OSS as implemented in FreeBSD won't work for you, that's
> your call.

There is still confusion going on here.

OSS is the Open Sound System. It's a commercial driver suite available for=
=20
many platforms, including Linux and FreeBSD.

Since it's available for so many platforms, the API implemented by the Open=
=20
Sound System has become a de-facto standard for portable audio applications=
=20
on UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems (like Linux) and is also commonly=20
referred to as "OSS".
=46reeBSD's soundcard drivers and audio subsystem (newpcm) implement large =
parts=20
of the OSS API - as does ALSA on Linux (ALSA additionally implements an=20
alternative API).

The "OSS is way worse than ALSA" sentiment is bullshit - it mostly refers t=
o a=20
few obsolete drivers in Linux kernel source (which are derived from a very=
=20
old version of the OSS product, dating back to the mid-nineties). You can=20
easily test OSS - trial versions are available from http://www.opensound.co=
m.=20
At the moment, OSS (the product) is also the only way to get MIDI support o=
n=20
a wide range of modern audio devices on FreeBSD.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org