Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 21:18:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        freebsd@atipa.com (Atipa)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gack, again! 3DFX cards.

According to Atipa:

> I heard people complaining about the performance of the Voodoo Rush. I'd
> return that card and get a Moster or somesuch, since you are using the
> 2nd slot anyhow. You'd also save some money.

The performance of Voodoo is lousy. It can't handle a single 3D operation
(in a window). Voodoo rush can handle lots. Therefor the rush has much better
performace. :-) :-)  Quake isn't the ONLY thing you can use 3D accelerators
for, ya know. Loosing a little fps in fullscreen can easilly be worth it if
you gain it back elsewhere (VRLM, etc).

Not that that has any real support under XFree86, though. :-(
Anyone know if there are any plans to build in openGL or something,
in XFree86? Personally I want something like X11 with OpenGL support and
"setenv AUDIO" support.

> Once Bill Gates has FreeBSD on his PC I'll forgive you for having win95 on
> yours!
Like JHK hasn't proven his loyalty to FreeBSD enough? And Microsoft ran/runs
FreeBSD on some of their webservers or something, IIRC.

  /Mikael