Date:      Fri, 09 Jan 2009 01:58:20 +0000
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

I have a number of HP 1U servers, all of which were running 7.0
perfectly happily. I have been testing 7.1 in it's various incarnations
for the last couple of months on our test server and it has performed
perfectly.

So the last two days I have been round upgrading all our servers, knowing
that I had run the system stably on identical hardware for some time.

Since then I have starte seeing machines lock up. This always happens under
heavy disc load. When I bring the machine back up then sometimes it fails
to fsck due to a partialy truncated inode. The locksup appear to
be disc related - on my mysql msater machine it will come back up with
files somewhat shorted than  those which ahve aready been transmitted to
the slave (i.e. some data was in memory, and claimed to have been written
to the drive, but never made it onto the disc).

The only time I have seen anything useful on the screen was during one lockup
where I got a message about a spin lock being held too long and some
comment in parentheses about it being a turnstile lock.

Help! :-(

I am now downgrading all the machine to 7.0 as fast as I can - though the
machine I am trying to compile it on has locked up once during the compile
so I havent got anywhere so far.

The machines are HP Proliant DL360 G5s - they have an embedded P400i
RAID controller with a pair of mirrored drives connected. Each one has
both ethernets connected, bundled using lagg and LACP.

Advice ?

-pete.