Date:      Wed, 9 Mar 2005 02:32:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      jasonh@cc.gatech.edu
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   via8237 SPDIF output

Hi all,

I recently built a new system based on the Asus A8V Deluxe mobo, and
installed  FreeBSD on it.  The onboard via8237 (Realtek ALC850) sound
works fine through the analog jacks on my speakers (with snd_via8233 in
the kernel config), but when I switch to the SPDIF jacks and set
hw.snd.pcm0.spdif_enabled to 1, I get no sound.  I know it's not a
hardware problem, because SPDIF out works in Linux.  It's not a huge issue
because I have working analog, but I would kind of like to get SPDIF
working.  Is there something else I need to do to enable it? The system is
FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE (amd64), just cvsupped a few hours ago.

Thanks,
Jason Harmening