Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 23:39:17 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New BT848 driver 0.2

     Thanks for the driver update.  The display is very nice there for
anywhere from 1 to 26 seconds, and then my whole system freezes.

     I tried several tweaks to get rid of the freeze: changing PCI Bus
Latencies (32 and 10), changing Window Sizes (640x480 and 320x240),
building a -g kernel with DDB support hoping Ctrl-Alt-Esc would let me get
to panic from ddb and dump a core (nope), running XFree 3.2A and then 3.2.
BTW, this was at 1024x768 555 16bpp.

     The one thing I tried that did get rid of the freeze (albeit with a
visible speed and image quality sacrifice) is to comment out the
CAP_CONTINUOUS ioctl, and put a CAP_SINGLE inside the event loop.  So it
seems the freeze could might be related to letting the card/driver run
auto-pilot.

     What's the best way to approach debugging a problem like this?  I
haven't done much kernel debugging, so digging through the driver code is
the next thing that occurs to me.  Any ideas on what might be going on or
suggestions on what to try next would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Randall