Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:04:18 -0700
From:      Orion Hodson <hodson@aciri.org>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        John Utz <john@utzweb.net>, Steve Frank <sfnk@ix.netcom.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hodson@aciri.org
Subject:   Re: CMedia CMI8738 problem

In message <20010725193058.A18843@nc.rr.com>,Randall Hopper writes:
> John Utz:
>  |if you refer to his dmesg output in steve's original post, you will notice
>  |that his 3com isa card already owns irq11, the next line shows the CMI
>  |chip trying to exist at irq11 and then failing because irq11 is already
>  |assigned.
>
> I'm missing something here.  In the copy of his message I got, these are
> the only references to IRQ 11 that I found:
>
>   sio0: <3COM PCI FaxModem> port 0xe400-0xe407 irq 11 at device 10.0 on pci0
>   pcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> port 0xe800-0xe8ff irq 11 at device 15.0 on pci0
>
> Both appear to be PCI devices.  Did I miss something?

No, they are both PCI devices.  Support of PCI sio devices appears to be a
bolt on to the isa devices (sys/isa/sio.c).  The interrupt attach routine does
not set the share irq flag as the majority of PCI devices do.

Hopefully there is enough flexibility in bios in question to coerce the
soundcard to use a different IRQ, e.g. lock irq in slot X to the sio card.

- Orion