Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 2003 17:23:15 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@apple.com>
To:        freebsd-i18n@freebsd.org
Cc:        Landon Fuller <landonf@apple.com>
Subject:   Status of Citrus project merge work?

--Apple-Mail-20-146318854

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking at the NetBSD libc support for wchar_t and
noticing that the support seems to be considerably more fully-fleshed
out there.  There is a citrus/ subdirectory in src/lib/libc which
FreeBSD does not have and it also appears that there are quite a few
more of the standard ISO/IEC 9899:1999 functions defined there.  Is
there work ongoing to sync up FreeBSD's libc with NetBSD's libc in this
respect (or from the original Citrus sources, for that matter)?  I've
looked at http://citrus.bsdclub.org/ and it certainly appears like
there's some sort of effort underway to do this work for all the BSDs,
but I haven't been following the matter closely enough to know how
active the FreeBSD branch of this work has been.

I have a reason for asking, of course, and that's because Apple is
currently reviewing what it would take to bring this work into our own
libc for Mac OS X, a libc which is substantially based on FreeBSD's at
this point and something I would rather not have gratuitous divergence
from.  If there's no work currently underway to bring this support in
from NetBSD, it's conceivable that I could have some Apple engineers
work on the merge and bring FreeBSD's up to date before bringing that,
in turn, into Mac OS X but I don't want to step on any toes, either.

Comments appreciated.  Thanks.

- Jordan

--
Jordan K. Hubbard
Engineering Manager, BSD technology group
--Apple-Mail-20-146318854

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking at the NetBSD libc support for wchar_t and
noticing that the support seems to be considerably more fully-fleshed
out there.  There is a citrus/ subdirectory in src/lib/libc which
FreeBSD does not have and it also appears that there are quite a few
9899:1999</fontfamily></bold> functions defined there.  Is there work