Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 1996 10:53:53 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        mikefish@lydia.bradley.edu (Michael Shover)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

> hello.  i have freebsd on my system and am trying to configure x
> windows.  the only problem so far seems to be with the mouse.  the
> x console comes up with the login and xterm windows, but the mouse
> will not move.  the mouse is a normal microsoft mouse that plugs
> into the mouse port on the machine, not com1 or com2.  any help
> would be very appreciated.

In /etc/XF86Config there is a section Pointer Devices
where you can specify the mouse protocol and
the device. For protocol you can use "Micosoft" with most
mice, even newer Logitech (if not MouseMan or the old rectangur
shaped three button Logitec mouse).

As a device you can choose "/dev/ttyd0" or "/dev/ttyd1" in
most standard cases.