Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 22:12:11 +0200
From:      Barry Irwin <bvi@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        AAKopeyko@rio.ru
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what is 'ICMP:3.13' ?

On Thu 1999-09-16 (19:30), AAKopeyko@rio.ru wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> Yesterday I add new rule
>
> ipfw add 802 allow log icmp from any to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
>
> and now have a lot of
>
> > ipfw: 802 Accept ICMP:3.13 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy in via tun0
>
> in log.
>
> Can anybody explain what 'ICMP type 3 code 13' message is? rfc 792, 950 never
> talk about it.

From TCP/IP Illustrated volume I ( Stevens)

ICMP Type 3 code 13:
communication administritavely prohibited by filter
(Error stat)

In other words somwhere your traffic is being blocked by a server/router
which is being kind enough to tell you that this has been blocked by an
adminitritive rule, rather than  the service being unavalible etc.

Barry