Date:      Sun, 03 Sep 2000 11:49:47 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        <thomas@noproblem.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FW: 4.1-STABLE BOOT SLICE PROBLEM

[ redirected to -chat ]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 9/3/00, 4:38:48 AM, "Thomas Beauchamp" <thomas@noproblem.net> wrote=20
regarding FW: 4.1-STABLE BOOT SLICE PROBLEM:

> Hi Siegbert,

> Thank you for your comments.
> I wonder why this terminology trouble has not been ironed out yet, as =

if
> things were not confused enough ...

> Thomas

Hello Thomas,

If you think about it, you 'll find the [Free]BSD way clear, flexible=20
and rational.

A "slice" (=3Dpartition in DOS/Winblows parlance) may be further=20
subdivided: you can have up to 8 subdivisions (=3Dpartitions in FreeBSD =

parlance), or up to 16 subdivisions (under OpenBSD).

This method is much more flexible than, say, M$'s: e.g. I have been=20
able to make some *BSD systems coexist on my workstation -- otherwise,=20
I would have run out of "partitions" (in M$'s sense) :-)

<aside type=3D"fastidious">

slice < O. French esclice, from esclicier (verb of Germanic origin);=20
cf German schlei=DFen.

partition < Lat. partiri (verb: partior, partitus sum, partiri).
Cf, in French, repartir/r=E9partir ...

</aside>

Best regards,
Salvo