Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 2020 12:51:57 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on AWS with root-on-zfs?

--oyUTqETQ0mS9luUI

Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > > Is anyone using FreeBSD as a EC2 instance, what would you do if you
> > > wanted a root-on-zfs AMI?
> >=20
> > Colin Percival published some root-on-ZFS AMIs a while back -- see
> > https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-cloud/2019-February/000200.=
html
>=20
> Good news.
>=20
> >=20
> > I've used these with great success.  I haven't seen an announcement of a
> > 12.1-RELEASE version yet -- not sure what Colin's plans are, but I think
> > the idea was to offer this layout as an additional set of the official
> > FreeBSD AMIs at some point.
>=20
>=20
> I've just launched an EC2 instance with "FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-amd64 ZFS
> (ami-054939ebd299da308)".  It works!
>=20
> I think I can freebsd-update it to 12.1 myself until a 12.1 AMI is
> available.
>=20
> Thanks! And I should go and support Colin's endeavor.

One of the major advantages of the root-on-ZFS configuration is the
possibility to select a different BE from the loader prompt if something
goes wrong with the current BE.

On AWS, the loader prompt is inaccesible, so how can we utilize this
powerful feature?

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/