Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 1995 11:52:35 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        andi@actcom.co.il (Andi Gutmans)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 50 line console display

Andi Gutmans stands accused of saying:

> Can someone please let me know if there's an FAQ file on how to make a 50
> line console display with FreeBSD? One that goes through the steps?
>
> Any refrences would be appreciated,

1) Select display fonts that suit your requirements from the set in
   /usr/share/syscons/fonts/*
2) Edit /etc/sysconfig and specify these fonts in the Syscons section.
   For 80x50 or 80x60, you will need an 8x8 font, for 80x30 an 8x14
   font, and to replace the 80x25 font, specify an 8x16 font.
3) Reboot.  You can also load fonts on the fly; see the 'vidcontrol' manpage.
4) Select your desired video mode with 'vidcontrol', eg.
    'vidcontrol VGA_80x50'

This is really about as trivial as it gets 8)

If you want to have your virtual consoles default to 80x50 without you
having to do this yourself, you can try this :

Put this in /usr/local/libexec/gettywrap

#!/bin/sh
#
# Frob video modes and exec arguments
#
vidcontrol -r white blue
vidcontrol VGA_80x50
exec $*

make sure it's chmodded 500 and owned by root.

Then in /etc/ttys, edit the getty fields in the entries for your ttyv* ports
to read :

"/usr/local/libexec/gettywrap /usr/local/libexec/getty Pc"

I would advice against doing this on ttyv0, as fiddling with the console is
a Bad Idea in general.

If someone wants to cut this out and stick it in the FAQ or the handbook,
go right ahead.  (I've cc'd this to -doc)

> Andi Gutmans

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[