Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 1995 02:19:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ASUS SP3G/AHA-3940 (was Kerb Encr Telnet 2.1R)

> > Yeah, riiiight.  I was delighted to see this when I installed the latest
> > SNAP:
>
> Not the *latest* snap you didn't, unless you're even faster on the
> FTP transfers than we give you credit for.. :-)

Only if I had a time machine.  Your announcement arrived scant minutes after
I hit "Send"...

> This problem has already been widely commented on and is fixed in
> 2.1.0-951104-SNAP

I hadn't seen anything, I am sorry..  of course I was sorta busy with an
upgrade nightmare scenario and I might have missed something.  I made the
foolish decision to upgrade news.sol.net to the ex-latest SNAP in order to
pick up support for the AHA-3940, so I could recover two ISA SCSI
controllers for better uses...  I installed the SNAP on a blank drive and
was up and running in about an hour and a half.  It turned into a 36 hour
nightmare at around the 18th hour, when that disk gave up the ghost and I
suddenly started hitting roadblocks left and right trying to replace it.

Reminder #1: It's Never Just A Simple Upgrade
Reminder #2: Even If It Is, Something Will Go Wrong

So.  Everything else aside, I wonder if anybody out there knows:  I am
trying to use an ASUS PCI/I-SP3G motherboard with an AHA-3940.  I do NOT
understand the way PCI interrupts are being assigned!  What I select in the
BIOS setup seems to be just as often as not ignored...  setting the slot to
"14&15" doesn't get me anywhere, and as a matter of fact when I actually
ended up with a "working" system, I had to set the IRQ to 10, FreeBSD
reports the card as being on 11 and 9 (9 also being the built-in NCR
controller!), etc.  It almost seems as though the controller tries to pick
its own interrupts, and has a tendency towards liking 11 and 12.

I am quite afraid to breathe around the machine, for fear that some Magic
Bits will change.  I am at a total loss as to how one might add a second
3940...  does anyone have any tips?  Insight into PCI Interrupts?  Etc.?

By the way, the 3940 is a really slick controller - at least once you get it
configured right.

Thanks,

... JG