Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 1995 12:56:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        Brian Gottlieb <brian@arl.wustl.edu>
Cc:        Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

On Thu, 24 Aug 1995, Brian Gottlieb wrote:

> -Vince-  <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu> (-Vince-) writes:
>
> -Vince-> On Wed, 23 Aug 1995, Brian Gottlieb wrote:
> >>
> >> It all depends on what you're doing with it.  In my machine at work I
> >> have a 400 meg drive dedicated to swap.  The circuit synthesis and
> >> simulations we run here need LOTS of memory and swap.  The "big"
> >> machines in our group have 256M of memory and a 1 Gig swap drive.
>
> -Vince-> 	Hmmm, is there like a way to do well with a big swap and
> -Vince-> like 16 megs of physical memory?  How much physical memory is
> -Vince-> on the machine with 400 meg swap?
>
> Today is a good day to answer this.  Last night I got a memory
> upgrade.  There is now 192M of ram in the machine (I feel like a kid
> in a playground..."My machine could beat up your machine" ;)
>
> When I originally wrote this, I had 64M RAM.  But the synthesiser
> swapped too much and took way to long to run on here.  With more
> memory, it swapped less and ran much faster.  I don't remember the
> numbers, but it was very significant.  A Sparc 5 with 192M RAM was
> keeping up with a Sparc 10 with 128M.  One factor we probably didn't
> consider was that the 10 may have had a faster disk on it.

	Hmmm, how does a FreeBSD box match up to a Sparc though?

> I'm no expert on things, but I think there is a point where you may
> get diminishing returns on having lots of swap.  On the other hand, I
> have 16 Megs RAM in my freebsd machine and 32 megs of swap, and I have
> run out of memory a few times.  More swap would probably help.  But
> perhaps if I got my swap too big, it may become less efficient since I
> could run more programs, but it would spend more time swapping.

	I guess so but physical ram is expensive while swap is cheap so
like isn't there a point where you can just put a number for the physical
memory and just use swap the rest of the way and it will work fine?

> I don't know.  To tell the truth, the 400 Megs of swap on here
> probably rarely gets filled up, since I typically ran my simulations
> elsewhere.  But I know that the Sparc 10 in the office upstairs was
> swapping like mad when I ran stuff on it (I could almost hear the
> drive down here ;).

	Really?  I always thought SUN's were quiet ;)

> Hmm...long post.  So the answer is...I have no clue ;)

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!
Chabot Observatory & Science Center