Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 1995 07:28:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        install@freebsd.org
Subject:   some 950928 install observations

I was able to install the snap on a troublesome box here and wanted to
convey the things that I noticed about it:

1.  After install some /dev files appear not to have been created.  I did
    not get a /dev/tty00 or /dev/tty01 pair.

2.  I did a customized X install selection on a bunch of things but only got
    the first tarball.

3.  At the fdisk/diskslice level if I did a "W" to write things to disk
    before I really had to then things locked up later in the newfs phase.
    If I did not do the "W"s ahead of time then things worked fine.

4.  For my particular configuration  (EISA/aha2740/scsi)  The default
    fdisk gave me a 6 sector slice followed by the rest of the disk in
    another slice.  There was a note about the disk bios which encouraged
    me to select "YES".  I did this and the drive was not bootable.  I
    re-installed, selected "NO" here and the 6 sector slice went away.
    This time it was bootable.  Perhaps it would be worth a note there
    about the types of disk systems that you should use "NO" for, i.e.
    ["IDE"]  ["SCSI"]?  instead of ["YES"] ["NO"] heh

5.  There appears to be some problem during the netstart with adding the
    default gateway and the route for 224.0.0.0.  Shortly after booting
    the system sees a RIP packet and I'm able to get out.  By reverting
    to an old "pre-sysconfig" /etc/rc setup this problem goes away.  This
    implies some sort of syntax error in the files.  I have an ep0 device.

Thats all I've noticed.  Thanks to all the core team for the continued
efforts.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
Internet Manager