Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 1995 15:43:01 -0400
From:      "Johanan L. Codona" <codona@planet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Starting an ISP!

Boy this is a quiet list!

I know that there are at least thirty of you out there, so let's
talk!

After a great deal of discussion, some friends of mine and I have
decided to start our own ISP.  I have been a long-time FreeBSD user
and think it would be a good basis for the system.  I know others are
also using it, apparently with some success.  I have read the
"Internet Access Provider FAQ" (http://www.amazing.com) and many other
sources of accumulated wisdom on the net.  It seems that BSD-derived
OSs are the most popular choice (because of its networking heritage),
and BSDI seems to have the biggest following among ix86-based
providers.  On the other hand, FreeBSD ought to be a good choice, and
it is certainly less expensive at the outset (and I hope overall!).
cdrom.com runs its major archive servers using it, and always seem to
have their limit of 300 people on!  It keeps chugging away, as
apparently do the ISPs that are using it.

However, before we proceed, I have a number of questions that this
group might help answer.

Questions:

* Is FreeBSD a good choice for our OS? (As opposed to BSDI, our second
  choice.)

* What version of FreeBSD should we use?  (We are looking to go
  "on-the-air" in about 4-6 weeks.)

* We are thinking about a fast Pentium with SCSI disks for storage.
  What are the best choices for:
	- multi-serial cards
	- memory per user
	- networking cards
	- other hardware?

* What about software?
	- Accounting, etc.
	- Misc Monitoring
	- Backup software
	- Security
	- User services

* Do people have any FreeBSD lessons-learned they would like to share?

Since we can't be fully redundant in terms of hardware, we think that
getting a second disk and frequently mirroring the user and system
disk (along with the usual tape backups) would be a good way to
get our system rapidly back on-line in the event of a disk failure.
Any comments?

Anyway, let's break the ice and at least talk about FreeBSD as an ISP
platform!

--
Johanan L. Codona
The Stekas Group