Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 1995 19:37:55 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        nils@guru.ims.uni-stuttgart.de
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ports/lang/gnat

The porter of gnat writes:

> you need a gnat compiler to compile the gnat compiler.

so I suggest we remove
	SUBDIR += gnat
from ports/lang/Makefile as every new host starting with an empty .../bin
that tries to do
	cd /usr/ports ; make
seems bound to fail.

I suggest we add to ports/lang/gnat/Makefile
	MAINTAINER= orphan	# not nils@guru.ims.uni-stuttgart.de
unless of course we can persuade him to assume maintenance ?

Just so nils doen't misinterpret this, removing SUBDIR += does not
suggest anything drastic like port removal, It's just that if the
Makefile doesn't support recursive descent from above, we shouldn't call it,
else the make of entire ports tree of 280 ports will break.

When nils or ports master or a user fixes this with an ncftp pre fetch
around the extract target, + adds an
	EXEC_DEPENDS=
&/or
	LIB_DEPENDS=
in the Makefile, then we could re-enable SUBDIR +=
in the Makefile above.

PS I'm not interested in fixing gnat, (I didn't know what it was, & had never
used it, my only interest is that it breaks
	"cd /usr/ports ; make",

PPS maybe we should toss a copy of
ftp.ims.uni-stuttgart.de:/pub/unix/FreeBSD/gnat-2.03-FreeBSD-2.0.tar.gz
on ftp://freefall.cdrom.com/pub/incoming/experimental/
ready for that 2nd cd ?

FYI Here is the nils's response to my recent bug report