Date:      Sun, 5 Feb 95 06:11:20 EDT
From:      "Stuart Hoffman" <stuart@usnet.us.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.0 Installation Questions

I have the Walnut Creek FreeBSD 2.0 CD, but I am having installation
problems.

Here's my situation:

a. When I try to install from the CD-ROM, after booting from the floppy
diskettes and partitioning the SCSI hard drive, the installation program
cannot read from my SCSI CD-ROM attached to my Adaptec 1542A SCSI
controller.

b. After copying the contents of the CD-ROM to an MS-DOS hard drive
partition, I cannot get the installation program to install from the MS-DOS
partition.  It says that it cannot mount /dev/sd0e, the name for the MS-DOS
partition.

Here are my questions:

1. What is the proper way to install from an MS-DOS hard disk partition?

2. How can I make floppies to install the entire thing from floppy disks?

3. How do I fill in the information fields in order to install using FTP
from freebsd.cdrom.com?  I have a SLIP account with us.net, but it was not
clear to me how to fill in the FTP fields.  For instance, what is the "IP
number" for freebsd.cdrom.com?  Do I use my IP address, user name, and host
name from US Net, even though I am not connected at that point?

Thanks for you help!

Stuart Hoffman