Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 1995 14:06:51 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        hwr@pilhuhn.de (Heiko W.Rupp)
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1-stable just hangs

> | > command is to be executed, the machine hangs. pressing reset is the
> | > only way to get it going again.
>
> | Are you running with Barracuda drives by chance, or another one of the
> | '7200' rpm drives?
>
> No, just 3* DPES 31080 and a 31200 (I think it's the name - I don't
> have access to the box right at the moment).

If it's any consolation, I'm now seeing complete lockups on -stable
(aka. 2.1R + NFS patches) as well.  I modified the mailing list to point
to stable instead of current to reflect our setup.

I'm need to go back to the mailing lists to get your information again.

Your setup:                     My Setup:
-----------                     ---------
-stable                         2.1R (+ 2 NFS patches)
P55TP4XE - 90                   P55TP4XE - 100
32MB ram                        32MB ram
Aha 2940                        NCR
SMC Elite                       COMPEX PCI
DEC                             Fuji 1Gb

I'm using NFS on my box, but it hung yesterday w/out any NFS traffic.
Note, if I monitor the box it won't hang, as it only hangs when I go
home at night.  I think it's just trying to annoy me (doing a good job)
since it requires driving across town to reboot it.

I just looked through some old email, and I'll try adding DDB to my
kernel to see if I can find out where it's hung, but as I noted it
hasn't hung with me in the room yet.  Note, my box is under *EXTREMELY*
heavy loads when it hangs.  I'm trying to build a local distribution for
a product, plus the 2.1R bits, plus the -current bits on the same box.
It cranks along pretty good until I leave the office. :(

I did notice that someone mentioned it might be heat related, but this
box is pretty well ventilated and has 2 CPU fans.  (This is an AAC box,
and Rod builds them pretty well).

One *last* thing that deserves mention is that I wasn't seeing the hangs
until after I added an external HP3C scanner.  The scanner has a switch
to enable termination, and termination is enabled.  I don't have any way
of sticking an active terminator on this box either.  However, adding
the scanner occurred at the same time as the load averages tended to go
nuts, so it may be coincidental.

If it keeps going nuts, I may remove the scanner from the picture.  If
so, I'm not sure how to solve my problem long-term, short of buying
another SCSI card just to drive the scanner.

Nate