Date:      Sun, 19 May 1996 23:26:59 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gavin Cameron <gavin@ormond.unimelb.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   'making' a router using a PC and FreeBSD

Hi,

I'd just like to get other peoples opinions on using a PC running FreeBSD
as a router versus a dedicated router.

I'm going to need a router with 7 interfaces, which will all fit in a
standard PC. The interfaces will all be 10Mbit, a mixture of UTP and
fibre. It would be nice if the same machine could support 100Mbit in the
future.

I was thinking about the following PC configuration to solve my problem:
	Pentium (what speed will I need?)
	32MB ram (open to suggestions here)
	4 PCI ethernet cards
	3 ISA ethernet cards
	ISA Video card
	1 gig disk

I know you can get multiple ethernet ports on some cards these days, do
people recommeend these? if so which ones? I'll be sticking to 2.1.0 on
this machine as I will need high reliability. Once 2.2 is released I'll
be running that on this machine.

I'll have one 10Mbit feed to the net, will a PC be able to sustain 10MBit
throughput?

I'll be doing IP firewalling and accounting on this machine, as well as
running a DHCP server, apart from that it'll be shuffling packets.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks very much,

Gavin
gavin@ormond.unimelb.edu.au