Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 1996 18:07:52 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        prb@bsdi.com
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   DOSCMD and legacy issues.

Greetings Paul!

 You may recall some time back that we undertook to do some Good
Things to doscmd; time and competing demands have stretched things out
a little more than anyone would have liked, but we've moved along and
I'm at a point now where I am beginning to feel comfortable about it
again.

One significant issue that has arisen out of the work that John Kohl did
is that the original vm86 interface used by the BSD/OS kernel may be some
work to support.

The greatest drawback to my doing anything concrete about this is my
unfortunate location relative to the test system which Jordan was
kindly able to set up.

Thus my initial question to you is whether you consider it a
worthwhile exercise to persevere and attempt to establish binary
compatability with the current BSD/OS vm86 kernel interface, or
whether you would be more inclined to rearchitect the interface along
the lines that Sean is following.

If legacy compatability is an issue, I would expect to be able to find
someone closer to the test system who could do the final work without
too much trouble.

Regards,