Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 1996 17:38:21 -0700
From:      Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mobile-ip alpha release for freebsd2.1R and wavelan update

Greetings,

We have put release of our alpha Mobile-IP code out at

ftp://zymurgy.cs.pdx.edu/pub/mobility/mip.tar.gz

along with a re-release of the wavelan drivers.

The Mobile-IP release was done on FreeBSD 2.1R and
includes kernel changes necessary for mobile-ip.  We provide
src and binaries for the routing daemons and utilities used with them.
The Mobile-IP release is based on draft 15 which is included.  We will
be working on updating it to draft 17 over the summer.

We based our release to some extent on ATT WaveLAN radio cards
and the drivers plus some new config utilities are present in the code.
(However our Mobile-IP should work with ethernet as well).
The wavelan code is both IN mip.tar.gz and in a separate wavelan.tar.gz
file.  Drivers are included for the ISA wavelan card and for the PCMCIA
card.  There are some mods to the drivers that people may not have
as there are some ioctls and other instrumentation that did not previously
exist.  Note: a possible patch by Matt Thomas for the wlp0 pcmcia driver and
a major remunge by Jon Inouye for the 2.2SNAP/pcmcia socket support
is not in there yet.  There are two little utilities supplied that
may be of interest.  One can get/set the NWID at runtime (both wl and wlp).
The other can read out signal strength and other related parameters
(only wlp).  The drivers supplied are compatible with 2.1R.

Any communication on the subject should be sent to:

mobileip@zymurgy.cs.pdx.edu

The code can also be accessed on the web via:

http://www.cs.pdx.edu/research/SMN

				regards,

				Jim Binkley
				jrb@cs.pdx.edu