Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 1996 19:15:46 +0000 ()
From:      David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>
Subject:   Documentation?

Is there any documentation on how things are added to the FreeBSD
ports collection?  I have a few things that I wish to add, but
would like to know how to go about it.  Specifically, I was
wanting to know:

- how the makefile system works (ok, I can work out most of it,
  but it'd be nice if I could take some of the guess work out
  of it but, say, at least having the most common make variables
  documented in some fashion, and how things like dependancies
  between pacakges worked).

- the procedure for getting a port added into the collection.

I wanted to add jed/xjed, slrn and slang. The patches are minimal
- really just modifications to the slang lib to build it shared
as well as static. Some minor changes to jed's slang macro
library as well.

Also, I'd like to submit changes/enhancements to the Lynx 2.6
port to have it use slang (and therefore be in colour - which is
really quite nice). Can two builds of a particular program be
supported by the ports structure?

David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn