Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 10:26:09 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Dennis <dsindrey@mindspring.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to install

Dennis wrote:

> Hi...
> I know NOTHING about UNIX, and i am running a clone Cyrix P120 with two IDE
> hard drives, a Sound Blaster, Adaptec SCSI Card, CDROM, Colorado T100 tape
> drive (on the floppy controller), ethernet card and Win 95.

If you're new to UNIX you'll have a lot to learn... Picking up a book on
the subject might be the best way to start :-)

> I would like to try to install FreeBSD or Linux, but would like any
> pointers on what will need to be done. Do I have to create a special
> partition for FreeBSD (I guess I would have to)? What would be a  minimum
> partition size do "play" with FreeBSD?

FreeBSD does require its own partition. For installation instructions
you may want to take a look at:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

However, if you're new to the subject, you should probably read *more*
than just the install docs, or be ready for many iterations of trial and
error. About the size of the partition you'll need, it depends on what
you want to install. If you want X and the sources to everything I'd got
for something like 500MB (at least). However, a system can be useful
with less than 150MB.

> Thanks for any tips
Nadav