Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 19:41:07 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org (FreeBSD SCSI Users' list)
Subject:   SCSI adapter & Success/horror stories with HP pentium XU series

[note:  cross posted because  one of my  questions is about HP computers in
 general]

Hi,

I'll be given an HP computer at my new job. The series I'll probably get is
the XU, with a P5-133.  It  uses an internal  IDE (blech) controller and an
Ultra SCSI2 controller, also on the motherboard.

I suspect (and hope!) it is an Adaptec similar to the 2940U (at least using
the same chipset) but I'd like a confirmation before taking the XU series.

Does anyone know   if  this SCSI  adapter   is supported by   FreeBSD (I'll
probably install a 2.2-SNAP on it) ?

Last (and why it  is also  on  hardware) has anyone  success/horror stories
with the latest HP series (VL4 with IDE and XU with both) ?

The configuration  I'm looking for is P5-133,  32 or 48  MB, 2x 1 Go SCSI2,
SCSI CDROM 4x  and Cirrus Logic video  adapter (they offer Matroxes as well
but even if they're good, I don't like their policy...)

Thanks,
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #12: Sun Jun 30 14:10:07 MET DST 1996