Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 1996 09:44:12 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD SCSI list)
Cc:        petzi@zit.th-darmstadt.de (Michael Beckmann)
Subject:   Re: SCSI harddisk trouble: MEDIUM ERROR

As Michael Beckmann wrote:

> Oct 27 03:26:59 zit1 /kernel: sd0(ncr0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:3b13fe asc:11,b
> Oct 27 03:26:59 zit1 /kernel: sd0(ncr0:0:0):  Unrecovered read error -
> recommend reassignment sks:80,32

> I took the disk out of the system, and checked its configuration. AWRE and
> ARRE were set. I thought the disk was supposed to automatically reassign
> bad blocks in this configuration ?

Yep, it's weird that it doesn't.

> fsck gave me a decimal block number for the bad block, how can I tell which
> block is bad here ?

The `info' field in a MEDIUM ERROR response is supposed to be the
(hexadecimal) block number of the failure, thus it's the total block
0x3b13fe = 3871742.

On the same note, fsck reports the block numbers relative to the start
of the filesystem, i think.

> Is there a way to run a disk check under FreeBSD, which
> finds (and reassigns) bad blocks ?

People have been asking for such a tool, but it's a little of work to
do it that nobody did yet...

> Is there a good way to reassign blocks
> automatically, and avoid the problems that follow these medium errors ?

ARRE :)  Too bad it doesn't work for you.

If you can backup the disk, and if it's not a funny one (by some SCSI
vendor who's cheating), you can reformat it.  I know it at least from
an older Seagate disk i used to have, which also experienced
occasional medium errors (despite of ARRE -- apparently, the defect
list for this zone was full), where reformatting cured the disk until
it has recently been pensioned since it grew too small for my needs.

--
cheers, J"org