Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 18:06:02 +0000
From:      se@x14.mi.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current -Stable less stable then that of March 26

On Apr 14,  0:09, "Marc G. Fournier" wrote:
} On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, Michael Smith wrote:
}
} > Marc G. Fournier stands accused of saying:
} > >
} > > 	Well, I just upgraded my -stable source tree last night, installed
} > > a new kernel early this morning, and so far I've had two panic's, so I've
} > > plugged back in my March 26th kernel that was substantially more -stable.
} > >
} > > 	Latest panic:
} > >
} > > ncr_start+0x4a7: movl _APTD+0xfe4(%ebp,%eax)
} >
} > Unh?  I have four NCR-using machines at -stable, and they all work jus'
} > fine.  Have you perhaps wound out the PCI bus latency timer beyond 32,
} > or do you have some other PCI hardware in this box that's griefing you?
} >
} 	-stable as of Friday night?  As I stated above, my March 26th kernel
} didn't exhibit this problem, which I'm currently running without any problems
} *knock on wood*
}
} > > 	There is *no* trace available on this, and when I panic, I get a
} > > dump device not ready, so no core dump.
} >
} > It sounds like your disk controller is provoking you into the panic,
} > so it's hardly likely that you're going to be able to use it for a dump.
} >
} > You _really_ need to talk to Stefan about this.
} >
} 	Stefan...are you out there?

Hi Marc!

I'm of course following the discussion, but there was
no change to the NCR driver in -stable for quite some
time. (Well, I just checked and noticed the introduction
of the XS_SELTIMEOUT error return on April 1st by Justin
Gibbs. But this only changes the behaviour in an error
condition, and if it causes any problems to you, then
you got severe hardware problems anyway ...).

Since I read your other problem reports, I'm nearly sure
you got some DRAM problems. If your previous and latest
kernels put an important data structure at different
places, one might run kind of reliable and the other
fail immediately.

I currently have no reason to believe that your trouble
are caused by a driver problem. Please let me know, if
you find any indication that I'm wrong ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160