Date:      Sun, 12 May 1996 21:05:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        dworkin@rover.village.org
Subject:   ext2fs patches -- bad news

OK.  I didn't get *ANY* mail from my mailing lists for the last
48 houts.  Why?  I'm not 100% sure.  I was seeing odd things happening.
refile wasn't working.  It would unlink from my inbox, but never link
in my destination file.  Ditto my slocal script.  Ditto mv!!!!  So,
I've backed out the kernel that I built with the ext2fs file system stuff
and won't be making patches available.  In fact, I'd *STRONGLY* suggest
that a good fs kernel hacker take a good, long look at the code.  I
think I'd see the same sorts of things if I was running -current given
the nature of the changes of the code.

On a related note, does anybody know how to tell FreeBSD to force fsck
to *ALWAYS*ALWAYS*ALWAYS* fsck the disk, ignoring the Clean flag?  I found
about 10 very large files that weren't referenced anywhere and I had assumed
the dialy cron job output was merely reporting the tmp files that were for
the batch jobs running at the time.  I'll go poking in my rc files, but
thought someone might know.  Didn't see anything in sysconfig.

I was hitting my system very hard.  Like doing all kinds of CVS operations
on the entire linux source tree (my own private CVS tree) which is about
a 25M tree.  I upgraded from 1.3.68 -> 1.3.96 in about 25 steps doing builds,
commits, updates -jx -jy, tags, etc.  It appears that the unlinked files
(which were a little corrupted, btw) don't correlate to this at all, but
all but 10 were from the time I started with the new kernel.  The 10
date from when I was installing 2.1R.

Yow!  Be careful out there!

Warner